Friday, February 25, 2011

new phone

It's about time I upgraded my phone. Not because I don't like it anymore..I don't think I'll be sick of the awesome black/gold combination! But unfortunately one drop too many has caused the speaker to become filled with static sometimes, making it hard to call my many many girlfriends (har har).

I have a few choices to make. The first thing I decided: I do not want an iphone. Yes you apple lovers, don't even bother! I actually do like the iphone itself; it has nice apps, runs okay, but it's everywhere and I hate that. Plus, Android is open source, making it more customizable than iphones (without jailbreaking it). Therefore, no iphone.

A few weeks ago, my workmate Steven told me about the Motorola Atrix (above). I was a bit skeptical, as Motorola isn't generally well known for good phones. However, the reviews look good and the hardware is impressive. It's the next generation phone, dual core (which means it's faster and will help battery usage decrease), graphics card/chip, nice resolution screen, next G enabled etc. It's basically a mini-computer. It ships in early March, but costs $900 outright as it won't be available here for awhile.

Another alternative, but by no means cheaper, is the Google Nexus S (above). Pretty much the Samsung Galaxy (it's also made by Samsung hardware), but with a few slight difference in software. It gets constant updates from Google, and it starts off with the new Andrew OS, Gingerbread. It's around $800.

But while looking at these two, I'm not sure if I want to spend so much on a phone. I have the funds, but will it really make a difference? I don't want to come off as one of those people who NEED the best (though I do like it =]) and often when I have given into that feeling, I've often regretted it.

So I might look into some other cheaper options. And I need to start looking for a better plan too.

Suggestions are welcomed.

teoh,

4 comments:

MKWOK said...

Yes please. how could u not be able to receive MMS?! lol

The most important thing for me is battery life, ability to listen to mp3s, making calls/SMS and a semidecent camera tool. Anything else are just the icing.

Babee said...

you wont be spending the money... i will be! :)

Phu said...

All androids have horrible battery life. Negligible when you deal with the phone though.

All current generation Android phones have similar hardware specs, so its a moot point. Choose any and you'll be right.

Where androids become awesome is the ability to root the phone and run any ROM you like. There's so many ROMs out there, it's more a choice of choosing the phone for the ROM you want.
i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XlBgnREyA0

You'll love Android :)

jediteoh said...

Well we all don't have current gen phones Marco!!

Hey Phu! lol how random. Didn't know you read my blog.

Yeah I basically want Android due to the amount of personal customizing you can do. I'm looking forward to getting into that stuff.

Battery life seems pretty general among smartphones, though I hear the iphone is slightly better. However, the next gen have duel cores, which will hopefully extend the battery life a bit more.

teoh,