Friday, November 11, 2011

unemployment or freedom?

So yesterday I did my last day at Civilex for the year. It's a bit strange saying, see ya next year guys! and, have a good Christmas! in November, but there it is. I think I've made a good impression on the company for now and I'm grateful that I have a job secured for next year.

What this means is that I am technically unemployed for the next two months! Or I guess you could just say I'm on holidays for two months. Either way, I have not been without my own income since my first part time job at KFC, in year 10! Since then, I have smoothly transitioned into another job, one after another.

How has this affected my life? Well, for one thing, I should be pretty grateful for all the people who have helped me find employment. Credits go to: Amanda - KFC, Daniel Tung (Family friend) - Baker's Delight, my brother - CSC and finally David Blamey (Uni friend) - Civilex. And my parents for being my taxi driver for the first few jobs. It is both encouraging and discouraging, the former as it proves I have many good friends and family, the latter because I have yet to make it somewhere myself. I'm sure I will get there eventually.

This also means I have had my own income for the past couple of years. I have managed to save some money aside for whatever the future holds, while also spending it to go on amazing holidays and to experience many things. It has made me more responsible in some of my choices in life and given me a greater sense of independence. I believe it has also increased my appreciation of what money can buy and more importantly, what it can't.

I do think it also has had a negative impact on me as well though. My concept of money is limited to the number in my bank account and what I need/want in my life. I don't have a credit cards, I don't take loans, I have yet to make tens of thousands of dollars purchases. I'm not too sure I can handle being in debt for 20 years, because I will literally feel like I have to stay at home and not spend any money until it's paid off. My brother is currently freelancing over in the UK, surviving on whatever work he can get as a graphic designer. I find that way of living scary, but I know I shouldn't and it would definitely be a good experience.

teoh,

1 comment:

Ritzy said...

wow i just thought of those exact works yesterday.

freedom is a euphemism for unemployment XD

wahh... does this mean no more education for you? lol in an institution.