Sunday, August 7, 2011

Not convinced


So I've finished two full time days at Civil EX and thought I'd just give my impressions of the place and what I do there.

Civil EX is a construction contractor company, that is fast expanding, getting more and more staff and projects. Basically I'm known there as an intern/student, just helping out my supervisor Matt in Estimating. Estimating is where clients send their initial tenders/plans to us and we estimate the amount of money and work that Civil EX would need to do to take upon the job. We then send back the numbers to the client, and if we're one of the lowest estimates, they will sign on with us (or maybe there's reputation also involved, I'm not entirely sure).

Matt's gotten me doing some document preparation, a LOT of printing and sorting into folders etc. I really hate printers now, I've had one jam on me a few times. The interesting things I got to do was actual estimating on some plans using a computer program and getting to know how the place works.

The people there are nice, but older than me obviously. I'm not too sure how much relationships I can establish being there only one or two days a week. It's too early to tell what future I have at Civil EX, but part time work is looking pretty good! The drive isn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

Captain America Movie
"I've just finished kicking Captain America's butt, here's the shield as proof"
Iron man still beats the crap out of any marvel movie I've seen.

Maybe I'm just too harsh, but this is another mediocre movie for me. In fact, it doesn't feel like a lot of effort was put into it (not to dismiss the work they probably actually DID put into it, but that's just the impression I get), an almost 'oh let's make captain america because we need him for the avengers movie' feel.

That's to say, it wasn't entirely not enjoyable. The beginning of the movie was enjoyable, a scene where bravery was demonstrated certainly made a good impression of character depth. I appreciated all the links to other movies, such as Stark appearances and the tie onwards to avengers. There was a sense of lacking during the 'putting together Captain America' for me, nothing like what Iron Man had when he was building his suit. No real exploration of his new found powers or anything like that. Besides becoming really buff, they didn't really show off his speed, his strength or shield in such a way that was a definite link to Captain America. Movies exaggerate men strength all the time! Show me that this is different!

Slight spoilers ahead

And then once Captain America is establish, it's all just explosions and gun shots (all which miss Captain America through terrible marksmanship) with no narrative. Character depth is all gone. All I know about the 'personal' squad that Captain America choose is they all like to drink and one's the token asian guy. No names or anything. The storyline is so terribly simple and predictable. There's a point in the movie where I wanted to stand up and scream ITS A TRAP in my best ackbar voice. A girl kisses the hero just as he prepares to jump on a plane to save the world; I'm thinking, what if the plane left while you did that? GG world for romance. But that would've been more entertaining than the completely anti climactic 'boss' fight.

AND BY THE WAY. How does Captain America know how to fight? He wasn't trained in combat, guns, flying ships, driving bikes or any of that. How does throw the shield so well and catch it so well?

Not too sure why people said it was on par with Iron Man - for me, definitely not. I know Xuan, Edward and Marco enjoyed it, but me and amanda remain unconvinced. But it was definitely better than Thor *snigger*.

teoh,

4 comments:

Ritzy said...

OUCH!!!!! Xmen > Ironman =P

jediteoh said...

First Class was good, but not amazing :P I think I enjoyed Xmen 2 the most, although I'm trying to get a good copy of Xmen original.

But Iron Man is the boooooomb :D

Anonymous said...

WHAT DAVID, ABSOLUTELY NOT BETTER THAN THOR THIS MOVIE SUCKED SHIT.

XMEN FIRST CLASS > THOR > CAPTAIN AMERICA

I haven't watched Ironman, RDJ is not really that hot :p

jediteoh said...

No way, Thor was pretty terrible. You're opinion is so bias is terms of good looking actors!!! There was no character exploration or anything to take away from the movie. On top of that, they made stupid decisions, like having HORSES in a mythical world of power and crystal. TERRIBLE.

Captain America at least had some decent humour, good characters at the beginning and better taste overall.

But they are both still in the terrible category.