Tuesday, September 13, 2011

circular wounds

here's a random post for you.

I cut myself with my razor the a few weeks ago, right in the corner of my mouth. It was only a small cut, but because it was in the corner of my mouth, it stretched every time I opened my mouth (to speak, eat, brush my teeth etc.). So it eventually became a circular wound.

Because of the constant flexing of my mouth, the wound would never really heal properly. The initial um, I dunno, regrowth of skin tissue would begin but then it would split again when I opened my mouth. It also hurt. I applied my usual treatment for cuts (aloe jelly), but to no avail.

Eventually, excess skin built up around the wound, creating a small mound of skin, making it look like a big pimple in the corner of my mouth. It took a weekend of not going out and not talking (no one at home to talk to anyway) for the skin tissue to finally stretch over the wound chasm and allow the wound underneath heal.

It made me think about something I read in a book about back in the olden times, if you got a wound from a spear, they would actually cut the wound bigger so it wasn't circular. This allowed it to heal faster apparently. Wondering if that would've helped, I googled it but alas found nothing.

It was a very frustrating wound. Doctor Marco, any advice (that's not sarcasm?)?

teoh,

1 comment:

MKWOK said...

lol sorry I haven't done my plastics rotation yet so I wouldn't know any better way apart from using some analgesics and keeping your mouth shut to facilitate healing.

Cutting the spear wound bigger might be to get rid of dead/necrotic tissue around the site of penetration. This speeds up the process because the body normally takes a while to absorb this dead debris. Your razor cut is unlikely to cause that to a great extent, so making a bigger cut, especially in a delicate region like the corners of the mouth, seems risky to me.

Wait till March next year and I'll give you a better answer :)