Tuesday, August 24, 2010

you have a virus!

Boy I'm so out of it right now. Struggling to finish off this cover letter and then heading straight to bed.

Just something I forgot to post a week ago. A call for me came the other day, from some indian fellow who is part of some company that is with Microsoft. And he was there today to talk to me about my computer. Interesting. How did he get my name is a bit scary, but I suppose that kind of information is easily found nowadays.

He then proceeded to tell me about a malicious (nice word) virus had infected my PC. Zomg! However, I already knew this was a scam, and he was interrupting a movie I was watching, so I was a bit over aggressive with him. I demanded to know how he knew there was a virus on my PC, how I got it when I 'hadn't touched the computers for days', that I would know if I had a virus cause I'm actually an employee of Microsoft myself. At that point, he actually said I'm not putting up with this and hung up. Which I thought was a bit odd, as he was the scammer.

Anyway, I've researched this before, cause my friend Elisha told me she had the same kind of thing happen to her a few weeks ago. It's a known scam, and they try and instruct you to install some kind of program on your computer.

Sigh. So people, tell your parents, cause this is obviously targeted to people who have no idea about computers. Fact: no anti-virus company, Microsoft etc. will ever contact you directly unless you have first contacted their service desk.

I wish I had controlled my frustration and strung him out a little long for fun.

teoh,

2 comments:

timtamz said...

LOL epic win teoh.

elienated7t said...

MEERKATS!!!! *LIKE*!!! oh n my name on ur blog...*MAJOR LIKE* :P:P Btw, it's freaky how the dude knew ur name, I lied about mine...do u reckon he knew all along :S:S