Monday, August 2, 2010

long and let live

okay, time for an overdue update:

Mum's birthday

It was my mum's birthday last wednesday - happy birthday mum! my brother came home and we bought her a cake, magazine subscription, flowers and hairspray tickets. the cake was a hazelnut flourless cake and was quite nice!

Vacation Work

I've been stressing a bit about vacation work, cause I'm slowly coming to terms about how competitive it is out there. My top preference company (see I won't say due to paranoia that you will go apply - like it'll make a difference) is quite elite and I'm not really sure of my chances with pretty average marks like mine. Fingers crossed for me please! I'm doing quite a bit of preparation, even signing up for mock interviews and such, so I hope it pays off.

Technology

Currently in the market for a new laptop, and almost got one today! Toshiba T130 is quite suitable for my uses and it was on sale at harvey norman for 1000! Unfortunately I found a dead pixel on mine and it was the last one in stock. Ah well. Hunt continues.


Also quick review, I finally replaced my old harddrive with this! I do love my tech toys.

Lacie 500GB rugged, USB 3.0! For those who don't know, everyone is universally using USB 2.0, so this is the next gen stuff. My computer thankfully is next gen, so I already have a USB 3.0 slot. So testing it out, I get rough speeds of around 78MB/s, which is triple the usual speed. Nice! It did, however, cost me a little extra than usual ($210) and are only available online shops so far.

teoh,

3 comments:

Ritzy said...

hahhaa if that is ya bro in the picture he looks v. happy.

ohla USB 3.0! never knew it existed. wow does that need to run by plugging it into the wall? 500GB is massive XD

jediteoh said...

No way! You can get 1TB without an external power source now sandra =] technology has jumped so far ahead now.

fmatt said...

get a laptop off amazon teoh! the stuff you can get from the US >>> what you can get here

i bought an asus UL30VT-A1 off amazon a couple of months ago - came by courier in less than a week from the US. paid $972. mine is a ULV core2duo, but the newer one is a core i3 ULV. and it even has a dedicated nvidia 300M graphics card (the new one), whereas i don't think your toshiba does.

look into it!! it's worth it. btw i think you need a graphics card or everything will look very poor on your screen and even HD youtube will lag.