Monday, March 8, 2010

the flood


so first off, we had a huge storm on Saturday night. Today at uni in Urbanwater, we found out it's a 50-year ARI (average rainfall intensity) storm, which means on a average, we only have such a storm every 50 years! That's pretty significant. Most storm systems are only designed for about 5 - 10 ARI.

I was at work when it happened, so luckily my car was underground, and the window walls were pretty strong. Heard people's windows got smashed and cars got dents, so I count myself pretty lucky in terms of damage. Would've sucked to be in the city though..seriously, if I found my car submerged in the streets, I would just stand there and cry...maybe.

anyway, I wanted to make a small rant here about advancement in technology. Now, I'm definitely for advancement in technology to improve our lives. Being a computer geek, I may be a bit biase in saying computers are OK. But seriously, the internet, while having it's cons, is definitely an improvement in communication.

But nowadays, technology advances not to improve, but to make things easier (which is not necessarily good) and some are just pure waste of resource. 3D movies for one, is something not needed..I mean, yeah it looks a bit better, but I think I can enjoy a movie in 2D and have the same amount of entertainment than in 3D. Plus, it costs a whole lot more.

Computers are getting faster, smaller, more common, but really, is it really necessary to continue improving them? Imagine how much money Apple must spend into coming up with new computers..millions if not billions. And WHAT IS WITH TRYING TO BRING OUT ELECTRONIC BOOKS. That just gets my blood going. Nothing will ever beat a good paperback book. Ugh.

That said, there are good things going for medical and other such things. But in terms of entertainment..when does it stop? We're losing touch with nature and going out. How often do we go out to the parks now? Move to New Zealand, it'll give you perspective (they ONLY just got broadband in most places).

teoh.


No comments: