Friday, October 29, 2010

money ambitions

It was perfect that I decided to watch 'the social network' after my exam today, because it's furthering my thoughts in my future career.

Mark Zuckerberg owns an online social network that is worth more than 25 billion dollars, that was built back in high school. Amazing. That's only 6 years after it was first launched back in 2004. I'm not sure how true the movie depicted the foundations, but it seems fairly accurate to the facts in wikipedia. The movie is a good watch for some college drama, but not too sure it's a blockbuster worth seeing in the cinema.

At the moment, I am studying engineering, a professional trade, in which I plan to take into the industry, and work my way up through the positions, hopefully ending up somewhere near a project management position. That's annual salary, increased through promotion.
The way Mark did it was to take an idea and explode it into money. Granted, it was one in a billion of an idea, but the concept is still there. But to explode that idea, he had to apply his insane programming skills and use his friends economics degree knowledge. Skills and experience.

Not that I'm saying I want to be a millionaire or anything. In my opinion, the more money you have, the more trouble comes with it, despite the obvious benefits. But I am curious about the different paths of earning money.

Then again, you also have the moral side of things. I remember a year or so back, a person tried to scam me and jason into joining pretty much a pyramid scheme (look it up, pretty common stuff). One of the excellent points that jason brought up was that the pyramid scheme was all about making more money; there was hardly any contributions to society in general. True, you can make lots of money and then use it to contribute that way, but come on (a point to be further discussed in the future maybe?)

Anyway, the whole point of this is not the money, but taking on a challenge and making it to your goal. Something I lack a lot in my life. I wish to think on this further, after exams (and during.).

teoh,

1 comment:

elienated7t said...

'taking on a challenge and making it your goal' hit a chord there. It's funny that you lack goals (or so you say), while I seem to lack the dedication to stick to the goals I set.

Nonetheless, all the best with yours!

And lol at watching a movie about high stakes and..."risks"..and "probabilities"..right after the investigation exam :P:P